Happy Father’s Day! Today, I realized that Dad has celebrated Father’s Day 25 times since I was born in 1984. Then my sister joined several years later.
I thank God for blessing me and my sister with a wonderful dad. Dad is such an epitome of a godly man who sets a fine example for us and others. I continue to admire him and learn more about the importance of having faith by watching him.
Here are some of my favorite father/daughter moments:
While Mom financially supported our family by working full-time because Dad was a full-time seminary student, he stayed with us at home during several summers. He taught us how to build a screened porch in our backyard, build rooms in the unfinished basement, and put new shingles on the roof. We watched Matlock on TV almost every summer morning and discussed who the mysterious murderer was.
When I was in 5th grade, he chaperoned my school field trip to Washington, DC, and interpreted almost every lecture for me because my school refused to provide an interpreter for me. Dad strongly felt that he wanted me to be able to experience as my peers despite my deafness. Wow…he made a lot of sacrifices by going with me to Washington, DC. Interpreting can be very physically and mentally exhausting especially if you don’t get paid to do it!
When I was between 8 and 14 years old, I travelled with him alone a few times to Springfield, Missouri, to visit his parents and family. On our never-ending road trips, we played ABC’s game by identifying letters outside his blue GMC pickup and memorized 50 states and their capitals. He sometimes slapped me repeatedly in the stomach to make me laugh.
When I was 15 years old, I had the privilege of going on my first overseas mission trip to Guatemala with him and his team. It was awesome being with Dad in an unfamiliar place and sharing culture shocks and life-changing experiences with him! God definitely used him to instill a passion for missions in my heart.
Every time I brought in a guy, Dad would have his rifle ready and quietly observe the boy while Mom would “grill” the boy with useless questions. I realized that I wasn’t desperate for boyfriends like my peers because Dad did fill that special guy-shaped hole in my heart. Also, God used Dad to teach me the importance of staying pure for my future husband.
Almost every summer, we would go on our traditional beach vacation. Dad and I would walk alone on the beach and discuss deep questions and theology. Until now, I still remember some of our conversations clearly and realize how they assist my walk with God.
Yesterday, Dad asked me if I wanted to go shopping with him at his favorite stores – Lowe’s and Home Depot. I immediately agreed and rode with him in his 1967 Ford truck (the one that Paw Paw recently gave away to Dad). It was such a scary trip on a crowded highway especially when we went up the hill and stopped there at one of traffic lights. Dad purposely let the truck roll backward down the hill to make me nervous! I thought we were going to crash some car behind us; however, he suddenly put on brake! Dad enjoyed watching me freak out and laughed.
I praise the LORD for showing me His LOVE through my dad. :)
Sunday, June 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
LOL!! I love how you said that your dad has a "rifle" ready every time you bring a guy home ;) praise Him for blessing you with an amazing daddy! beautiful memories :) i totally agree about you not being desperate for boyfriends because your dad fills that hole in your heart :)
I would say, that dad doesn't even have a rifle, so yeah, and Paw Paw didn't give him the truck, Dad had to buy it in order to get...LOL I'm just picking one you! :P
oh...you don't know that Dad actually hides his rifle somewhere in the house. but you're right about one thing...Dad did buy the truck for only ONE DOLLAR!
Haha... and my father brings out the cannon when my sister brings a guy home! ;)
It's truly a blessing to have a wonderful father! I was fortunate enough to have wonderful memories with mine as well through my life.
Post a Comment